Whitstable Maritime is a Private Company Limited by Guarantee registered in April 2014. In August 2015 it was recognised by the Department for Communities and Local Government as the lead body for a Coastal Communities Team. All members of this not-for-profit Company are volunteers.
Whitstable Maritime aims to help residents, visitors, schoolchildren and students enjoy exploring the town's coastal connections - past, present and future - at a visitors centre, along the foreshore and afloat.
By working in partnership with other organisations in the public, private and voluntary sectors we hope by 2018 to have:
- restored an historic 42-foot Whitstable Oyster Yawl;
- created a Maritime Discovery Centre;
- established an annual Maritime Festival;
- designed coastal trails from Whitstable to Faversham;
- incorporated new and alternative technologies; and
- added value to the local economy